Thursday, April 23, 2015

Sedation.



Yesterday sent Despair scurrying to the tips of my toes. Like a begging dog it patiently waited, to rush upon me, to take a bite.

I spent most of my morning in limbo. Hidden behind a translucent curtain meant to confine and protect me from the buzzing and bustling in the room. Stretchers and hospital gowns quickly became the imaginary scenery in my mind. Redundant questions spun rotational answers sending my mind spiraling in surreal apprehension. I knew I needed to be there but the constant words pinged off the walls and jostled my bed.  

I was waiting externally for an internal procedure. One that would bring about answers to my taunting screams of pain. I was idly waiting with a restless  non- medicated mind. Distractions were traded with opaque brown walls that dawned a black number 4. I was fourth in line but forced to wait due to a few impulsive crackers earlier that morning.

Too much stagnant time for a bipolar mind quickly becomes the noose over the gallows.  

Tighter. Tighter.
Breathe.
DROP.

After several laggardly crawling hours, I was rolled back to my surgical destination.  My mind shifted focus to the nurses surrounding me. Their talk was like any other 9 to 5 job, Birthday cakes and babies. They hovered over me spouting their routine statements. By then my mind was rampantly twirling and failed to comprehend their directives. A few more minutes then I rolled to my side and into the silent darkness of sedation.



Returning to a comprehensive state felt like a blink of an eye though in real time I knew it was much longer. I was shuttled from my bed to a wheelchair and into a car with a waiting mother. A few shuffled movements and off we went to her house and back to the deadly silence of my mind.
 My Bipolar Kryptonite.

The rest of the day was a mere blur though the presence of the suicidal demons remains. Yesterday took me back to a darkened place, back to where I’d struggled to escape, back to Despair.
Now I sit starring down the barrel of the contemplative gun. To pull the trigger would be so bittersweet. A spring loaded goodbye from a lifetime of struggle.